“Think Globally, Act Locally!”

Although my blog is titled Campus Cheap Eats I thought that it is only natural to splurge every once and a while, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Local Lunch from the Marketplace, which happens only on Wednesday & Thursday, for 6.99. Now, don’t stop reading this blog just because of the price! What I think may win you over is that this lunch was prepared with local food! The Local lunch was classic fried chicken with mashed turnips with chicken gravy, and braised greens and as I said earlier all of the food was taken from local communities! As listed on the CSU Chico website “The Chicken is from Petaluma Poultry in Petaluma, CA. Turnips are organic and are from Yolo County, and the Braising mix is from Comanche Creek Farm in Durham, CA.” Because of the emphasis the Market Place put on their local lunch I started to think about why I should spend $6.99 on this plate of food rather than my usual $4.00 on a bagel sandwich. As I was walking away with my loaded plate of local comfort food I began to think how eating locally is one small step towards helping the environment as a whole.

I am sure many of you have heard about the “think globally, act locally” movement which encompasses both social and environmental movements and I would like to take a moment and applaud Chico State Dinning Services for taking on this difficult challenge.  For those of you who are familiar with the “think globally, act locally” movement it can easily be determined that this motto has been applied to many different settings, but for those of you who are un familiar Wikipedia gave a wonderfully broad definition to this movement by stating that the “think globally, act locally” urges people to consider the health of the entire planet and to take action in their own communities and cities.” Then once people start taking action in their local communities then the spirit will spread to other communities thus changing the normal dependency on big corporations manufacturing large sums of unnatural food to feed the masses.

Even thought the focus of my blog is mainly on the environmental aspect of “think globally, act locally” I found a very interesting article titled “Millennials Think Globally, Act Locally” by Morley Winograd and Michael D. Hais discussing how the American Millennial Generation (those born between 1982 – 2003) has redefined the “think globally, act locally” movement by being involved in social revolutions through social media. After reading the article I began to think of it in the scope of environmental affairs and came to the conclusion that if we Millennials continue our grassroots effort to make change in our environment through the “think globally, act locally” movement WE can change what our future looks like. How empowering is that?